Last week, I made this Vegetarian Lasagna with zucchini. Today I made this lasagna with squash. The recipe is similar to the Baked Eggplant Lasagna I made a month ago.
I hope you enjoy this healthy alternative to a classic Italian dish!
3 pounds large zucchini, squash, or BOTH, scrubbed
Homemade basic tomato sauce (makes about 6 cups, see recipe below)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1 pound mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated
- To make the homemade basic tomato sauce:
½ cup olive oil
1 diced onion
2 chopped celery stalks
8 chopped garlic cloves
3 finely shredded carrots
3 chopped whole tomatoes
½ cup water
4 fresh thyme sprigs
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
¼ cup breadcrumbs (optional)
1. Heat oil in a hot pan.
2. Add diced onion and chopped celery.
3. When the onions and celery become tender, add chopped garlic and shredded carrots. Stir the vegetables until they become soft and light golden brown.
4. Season vegetables with salt and pepper.
5. Mix in the tomatoes and ½ cup of water.
6. Add the fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs. You can find the herbs stems and take them out later. Or you can take the thyme and rosemary leaves off the stems and chop them up before you put it in the sauce.
7. Bring the sauce to a boil and stir frequently. Once the sauce starts to thicken, lower the heat and let the sauce simmer for about 30 minutes.
8. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
9. If you prefer a more chunky sauce, add breadcrumbs to thicken the sauce even more (optional).
- To prepare the lasagna “pasta”:
1. Slice zucchini/squash into long, thin slices.
2. Cook the zucchini/squash slices in boiling water, which had a teaspoon of salt and garlic to flavor the water. Cook the slices until limp, for about 5 minutes.
3. Drain the zucchini/squash slices on paper towels.
- To assemble Vegetarian Lasagna:
1. In a 9x13 pan, spoon a thin layer of homemade tomato sauce.
2. Arrange layer of zucchini/squash over the sauce. I usually start with the rind of the zucchini/squash faced down on the sauce.
3. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and parmasean cheeses, covering the zucchini/squash layer.
4. Add some more sauce on top of cheese layer.
5. Arrange the rest of the zucchini/squash over the cheese.
6. Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake dish in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour or until top is brown. Let lasagna stand 20 minutes before cutting.